Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Authors On The Rise Interviews Ja'Nese Dixon




Authors On The Rise Is pleased to bring you an interview by talented author Ja’Nese Dixon. She is the author of Black Diamond. Enjoy!

AOTR: Please tell us about yourself and your books.

Dixon: “I am a mother and wife. I started writing poetry in elementary school and it morphed into writing short stories. Later in life, I used my newly found love of Flash Fiction to reignite my love for writing. Now, a couple of years later, I’m the proud author of my first novel, “Black Diamond”.
“Black Diamond” is about Camille Blackwell, an undercover FBI agent, planted in a distribution company suspected of trafficking conflict diamonds.

AOTR: Why did you write your book and what was the inspiration that made you complete it?

Dixon: I wrote the book as a participant in NANOWRIMO. My kids and I decided to compete and after 30 days I had the first draft of “Black Diamond”.
The story inspired me to work and re-work my manuscript. The first draft was hard, but dedicating the time to finish my story took a lot of time.

AOTR: Are there any important social issues your characters faced or discussed in your book?

Dixon: Yes, my story shares some of the woes of conflict diamond trafficking.

AOTR: Who was your favorite character in your book and why?

Dixon: That’s like asking if I have a favorite child. (smile) However, if I had to select one it would be Talib Kamwi. He’s my villain, but his internal struggles and rough edge made him easy to write. I enjoyed it.

AOTR: What do you hope a reader will take away after closing your book?

Dixon: My hope is that readers will close the book knowing more about the plight of people affected by conflict diamonds and how our personal choices can adversely involve people around us.

AOTR: With so many books in the market, what sets your book apart?

Dixon: The lessons hidden between the covers. I did extensive research over international rebel groups, conflict diamonds, the diamond industry in South Africa and international legislation. But in the end, my book is about the characters and their attempts to live with their choices.

AOTR: What projects are you working on now?

Dixon: I am working on “Intoxicated”. It’s a sexy tale about love in the limelight--love bore out of being flawed.
The plot is lighter than “Black Diamond” because nothing is sexier than R&B music. (smile) It introduces readers to Marques, a R&B singer and the first story in my Star Status series.

Aaron “Marques” Carter, known to his adoring fans as Marques, is an acclaimed R&B singer and songwriter determined to reach icon status in the music industry without the interference of love.

Brione Alexander, a beautiful headstrong law student, is a pro at keeping men at a distance. “Once bitten, twice shy” should be her motto. Time has shown her that men cannot be trusted!

A chance meeting between the R&B sensation and the relationship phobic sets in motion an electrifying union that can rescue both Aaron and Brione from themselves.

AOTR: What keeps you typing and creating books? Is there a person, place, or thing that inspires you to do what you do?

Dixon: Characters keep me typing. For instance, “Black Diamond” first came to me in a dream. I’m inspired by reading and books. I can clearly remember key points in my life and reading has always been an instrumental part of my life.

AOTR: Finish this sentence. Twenty years from now I hope to have accomplished.... in my writing career.

Dixon: having my stories as a part of a college curriculum and on the big screen.

AOTR: How can readers contact you?

Dixon: My website: http://www.janesedixon.com/
My email: info (at) janesedixon (dot) com
My book page on Facebook: www.facebook.com/authorjanesedixon
My Twitter address: www.twitter.com/janesedixon

AOTR: We wish you success!

Ja'Nese's ten favorite things:

Fruit – Gala apples

Season - Fall

Restaurant – Gringos Mexican Restaurant

Actor – I’m loving the Smith family. (I’m sorry for cheating.) Black love and strong, talented children. I love it.

Food – Pizza

Author – Beverly Jenkins

Movie – “Pretty Woman” and “Legally Blond” (I can’t name one…)

Social networking site – Facebook (urgh…addictive)

Accessory – sexy shoes

Time of day – About 2 am…I’m a vampire

1 comment: