Thursday, January 31, 2013

AOTR INTERVIEWS BEVERLEY HOLLOWED

 
 
 
AOTR had the chance to chat with gifted author Beverly Hollowed. Please show support by picking up her book, Forever And Always, here
 

AOTR: Please give the readers a brief Bio on you the person and tell us about yourself.
 Beverly: My name is Beverley, but my friends call me Bev. I am 38 years old ( did I really just tell everyone my age) and I live in Dublin with my husband and 2 gorgeous sons. Forever and Always is my first published book.
AOTR: When did you begin writing?
Beverly: I always wrote. As a kid I wrote poems and short stories. Then when I was about 18 I tried to write my first full length story, (which was terrible btw) but I tried and tried again. When I had my boys, I found it harder to write at times. But last summer I really got my head back in the game and I began Forever and Always
AOTR: What pushed you to write your book?
Beverly: It was always my lifelong dream to write and publish a book. I always knew I would. I just didn’t know when I would. When I was little my teacher would call me Dilly Daydreams. I was always miles away in my own little world. I had a vivid imagination so writing seemed the logical step for me.
AOTR: How did you come up with the characters in your book?
Beverly: Although all the character are for the most part, fictional. There is a lot of me in Melanie and her journey was very personal to me. Sam has a lot of my husband’s qualities (but he isn’t a doctor). Katie and Lucy have little bits of my 2 best friends in them too.
AOTR: Were the characters and writing the story easy for you, or did you have to outline and do research?
Beverly: I did do some research but mostly the character’s came easily to me. I guess I drew a lot on my own life experiences for the most part. I always do outlines but never stick to them.
AOTR: How long did it take you to complete your book? Will there be a sequel. If so, when do you plan to release it?
Beverly: I completed the first draft in about 3 months. Then there was the editing and some rewriting afterwards. No this is a one book story so no sequel.
AOTR: After reading your book, what do you hope the reader will take away?
Beverly: I hope firstly they will love the characters as much as I loved writing them. I hope Melanie and Sam will find a place in their hearts. I hope they take away the belief that, although sometimes life doesn’t run smoothly, if it’s meant to be, it will work out in the end.
AOTR: Has anything about the publishing Industry surprised you?
Beverly: Yes it has. In particular it is the other writers that surprised me the most. Most of the writers I have met through this whole process have been amazing and so supportive. I know it sounds a little cheesy but it’s like I have found a new family and we all have each other’s backs. I have met some amazing people and I know I have made lifelong friends.
 AOTR: Would you like to share a few things you learn while in the publishing industry?
Beverly: I learned it’s a lot harder and far scarier than I thought it would be to publish a book. It can be a real roller-coaster ride at times but is so worth it. I have learned the most important thing is to EDIT, EDIT EDIT….Biggest lesson I learned is EVERY writer gets bad reviews and you can’t take them too personally. Not everyone will love your book, but that is ok. Finally every writer, even the very successful ones, has doubts, but you gotta pick yourself up and keep going.
AOTR: If you could write a book together with any author, dead or alive, who would it be?
Beverly: I would love to write with Sylvain Reynard. I am a huge SR fan.
AOTR: If your book was made into a movie, what actors would you choose for the characters? Why?
Beverly: Haha… a little obvious but I love Matt Bomer and kinda had him in my head when I was writing about Sam. Don’t really know who could play Melanie.
AOTR: Besides writing, what are some of your other talents and hobbies?
Beverly: I love music. I listen to music constantly. I make my own jewellery and I love to read. I am a chatter box and could win a medal for talking…or so I am told lol.
AOTR: What words of wisdom do you have for aspiring authors?
Beverly: Don’t give up. If it’s in your heart to be a writer… you are a writer…… But always remember EDIT, EDIT, EDIT!
AOTR: What current projects are you working on? Will you be attending any events, book fairs or have any book signings?
Beverly: I am currently halfway through on my second book, which I hope will be out late spring. Still working on a title. I have nothing confirmed yet but hope to attend some book events over the summer.
AOTR: Where can readers find more information on you and your work?
They can check me out on goodreads.com or through my facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/Beverelyhollowed2012Author
Beverley's  ten favorite things:
Shoes: Converse runners
Season: Autumn
Poet: G.H. Monroe
Flower: white roses
Fruit: Banana
Day of the week: Friday
Friend/why? Barbara and Clare (can’t pick one) because I have known them all my life. They know all my secrets
Radio station: 2FM ( it’s an Irish radio Station)
Blog: Authors on the rise blog …of course x
Play: Wicked

Thank you for stopping by AOTR! We wish you much success!

No comments:

Post a Comment