Wednesday, January 2, 2013

AOTR INTERVIEWS Author JB McGee



Authors On The Rise had a chance to chat with talented author, JB McGee, author of: Broken and Mending. Enjoy this powerful interview and please support by purchasing her books.

AOTR: Please tell us about yourself and your books.

JB: Gabby is a young girl who has been through so much in her short life. She suffers a lot of loss and has trouble trusting people because of what she has been through. In Broken, you are learning about some of her past and why she is so hesitant with relationships. When Bradley Banks comes into her life he forces her to feel again. But he is the type of guy Gabby tries to avoid at all costs. Bradley is used to getting what he wants and he refuses to give up on her.

While half of the book focuses on her first love; there is more to Gabby and why she is Broken than what you learn in the first installment. You also realize in the second book that Bradley has his own baggage and he’s also broken in a sense. Things are going great for them until their past rips through their relationship like a tornado leaving a mess to piece back together. Like the first book, it goes back and forth between past and present. It picks up where Broken leaves off and is also told in third person omniscient, so you get to see a lot of Bradley’s point of view in Mending.

I tell folks that Broken is really about Gabby; Mending is more about Bradley, and Forgiven – well I can’t tell you who or what that is about just yet.

The THIS Trilogy is my debut series. So far, the first two books, Broken and Mending, have been released. I anticipate the last book Forgiven to come out in April, 2013. I have several other stories to tell than what I originally planned. I am thinking of renaming a series instead of a trilogy.

AOTR: Why did you write your book and what was the inspiration that made you complete it?

JB:I was going through a rough time in my life personally. I had been reading a lot as a means of escape. In the seventh grade when I was told I could no longer do book reviews on Nancy Drew, I stopped reading and I had forgotten how much I loved a good book.

Several stories ended differently than I liked. I thought to myself, I would have done this differently. I also realized that I had my own story brewing in my mind. It was really a very impulsive decision. I just sat down one night and decided I’d try to write it all down and see where it led me. I had no idea that the first book would be done two weeks later. This has been such a life changing decision for me. I am so thankful.

AOTR: Are there any important social issues your characters faced or discussed in your book?

JB:There are some things from Gabby’s past that have yet to be revealed. A major source of conflict in the book is Gabby’s constant feeling of social inadequacy. She is surrounded by people who are more affluent than she is and it is very hard for her. It’s just another insecurity she struggles to overcome.

AOTR: Who was your favorite character in your book and why?

JB: Eek, that’s so hard. It changes from time to time as I write. I really love Bradley Banks. Sometimes it’s hard for me to believe that he is a figment of my imagination. He feels so real and he’s such a charmer.

AOTR: What do you hope a reader will take away after closing your book?

JB:Well, when they finish Broken I hope they have a renewed hope for finding love and being open minded to the fact that you can’t always predict who it will be or when it will happen. It’s not always easy. But, it’s worth trying.

With Mending, love conquers all things. That love is patient. Love is kind. It is not boastful, nor jealous.

I hope that people will also read my biography and realize that you can overcome your disabilities and still obtain your goals. I hope through my books to raise awareness for Mitochondrial Disease. My entire immediate family suffers from this disease, so it’s very personal. http://www.mitochondrialdiseases.org

AOTR: With so many books in the market, what sets your book apart?

JB: Honestly, I worried when I wrote them that they would not stand apart from other books. It amazes me at how we are all able to come up with unique stories even if the same issues come up time and time again. I am not sure if I can put my finger on any one thing in particular that sets it apart.

I don’t write in first person, which is very popular right now. I also flash back to the past every other chapter. The other thing is that there isn’t a lot of actual sex in the book. There is a ton of sexual tension. My main character is not willing to budge on a certain promise she made to her dying mother. It is a major source of conflict.

AOTR: What projects are working you working on now?

JB: I took a couple of weeks off for Christmas to let my body recover from finishing and releasing Mending. I wanted to spend some time with my family. I started a novella (title and cover yet to be released) a few weeks ago and I will start Forgiven this week.

AOTR: What keeps you typing and creating books? Is there a person, place, or thing that inspires you to do what you do?

JB: The fans keep me going. It’s so nice to hear people love my stories and can’t wait to get more. Ultimately, I compete with myself. I set goals and I will stop at nothing until I they have been achieved.

 The more I write, the more stories come to me, and I can’t describe the feeling that goes on in my brain. It’s like my head is going to explode if I don’t get all the thoughts written down. I know I have at least three more stories to tell. I’m sure as I continue to write, more will come.

AOTR: What important lesson(s) did you learn about publishing and the industry?

JB: I can’t stress the importance of a good editor and just because you pay someone and they have good reviews, doesn’t mean they know what they are doing. With Broken, I had to go back and completely re-edit that book. It was disheartening. That has been the hardest lesson to learn. To know I wrote this book that has a decent plot, went through the editing process, and still came out with a flawed manuscript. But, hopefully that is all in the past and I can move on and not make those same mistakes.

The publishing industry takes social networking to a new level. I had no clue how much word of mouth influences your success. I am thankful that I was able to get connected with certain people who have helped me tremendously. You literally can’t put yourself out there enough. Writing the book is much easier than promoting the book. It takes a lot of time and effort to make sure people can find it.

AOTR: What advice do you have for aspiring authors?

JB: Don’t give up and find someone who knows what they are doing to help you. Socialize with other authors, review bloggers, and start making a name for yourself. Don’t skimp on graphics and formatting. You are a brand and your books are your products. You are a business. Present yourself in such a way that is professional, yet approachable. The roller coaster of emotions you will feel are normal. You can do this.

Publishing is scary. Find someone who can hold your hand and walk you through adding your book to Goodreads, creating a blog, and formatting your eBooks so that all you have to do is upload your data. First impressions are everything. You could have the very best book, but if you don’t put it together well people may not read it.

Just don’t give up and don’t rush it.

AOTR: Where can readers connect with you?

JB:
Website: http://www.jbmcgee.com
Blog: http://www.jbmcgeebooks.blogspot.com
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/J.B.-McGee/e/B009JUX6KI/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/authorjbmcgee - Fan Page ~ Like Me! http://www.facebook.com/jbmcgeebooks - Friend me!
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/j_b_mcgee
Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/112378871764548993618
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/j-b-mcgee/58/747/b90/
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6544571.J_B_McGee
Wattpad: http://www.wattpad.com/user/jbmcgee
All Romance eBooks: http://www.allromanceebooks.com/storeSearch.html

JD'S 10 FAVORITE THINGS 1) Fruit
Watermelon
2) Season
Spring
3) Restaurant
Carrabbas
4) Actor
Ian Somerhalder
5) Food
Pasta Weesie from Carrabbas J
6) Author
Oh – that’s a loaded question. I don’t know that I can name just one.
7) Movie
The Notebook (or any Nicholas Sparks movie)
8) Social networking site
Facebook
9) Accessory
Earrings
10) Time of day
Lunch

BIO:
J.B. McGee was born and raised in Aiken, South Carolina. After graduating from South Aiken High School, she toured Europe as a member of the 1999 International Bands of America Tour, playing the clarinet. While attending Converse College, an all-girls school in Spartanburg, South Carolina, she visited Charleston often. It quickly became one of her favorite vacation spots. She met her husband, Chad, during Christmas break her freshman year, and they married in 2001. They moved back to her hometown. In 2005, the couple welcomed their first son, Noah. J.B. finished her Bachelor of Arts degree in Early Childhood Education at the University of South Carolina-Aiken in 2006. During her time studying children's literature, a professor had encouraged her to become a writer.
In 2007, she welcomed their second child, Jonah, and she became a stay at home mom/entrepreneur. In 2009, they found out their two children and J.B. have Mitochondrial Disease. In 2011, a diagnosis also was given to Chad. Please take a moment and learn more about Mitochondrial Disease. Awareness is key to this disease that has no cure or treatments.
J.B. McGee and her family now reside in Buford, Georgia, to be closer to their children's medical team. After a passion for reading had been re-ignited, J.B. decided to finally give writing a shot. Broken (This Series), is her first book and first series.
Mending, Book Two of the This Trilogy is now available. Please follow JB on Twitter and Facebook to get updates on the release date for Forgiven, the third book of the 'This' Trilogy. Coming Spring 2013.
You can preview chapters on Wattpad (http://www.wattpad.com/jbmcgee)
**Book Trailer by www.yourmovieboutique.com
**Cover graphics by IndieCoverDesigns.com

No comments:

Post a Comment